Tuesday, January 18, 2011

DIY Laundry Detergent

A few years back my sister in law gave me a recipe for making my own detergent.  I had the recipe sitting idle on my shelf for some time, I just wasn't sure how clean my clothes could get.  But at the time money was exceptionally tight so to save a little mullah I gave it a go, and boy am I glad I did!  The best part of it all, is that it is wonderful for HE washing machines because it is a low suds detergent.  Lemme tell you, this will clean clothes better than most of the stuff out there.  I still buy detergent, I mean who can pass up getting it for free (when there's an awesome coupon).  I've tried several variations of this recipe, but this is the one that works the best!  So here you go, give it a shot!!!


What You’ll Need{check your local store’s laundry aisle}



  • 1/2 Cup: Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda {not Baking Soda}
  • 1/2 Cup: 20 Muel team Borax 
  • 1/3 Bar of Fels-Naptha Soap {you could also use Ivory soap, but if using Ivory… use the whole bar}
  • Bucket {2 gallon size or larger}
  • Empty laundry detergent containers or bucket with lid to store detergent.
What You’ll Do:
  • Grate 1/3 bar of Fels-Naptha Soap over large pot or saucepan…
    • Add 6 cups of Water.
    • Heat over medium-high until soap dissolves and melts.
    • Add Washing Soda & Borax, and stir until dissolved.
    • Remove from heat and set aside.
    • Pour 4 cups Hot Water into bucket, then add Soap Mixture.
    • Stir, then add 1 Gallon + 6 Cups of additional water.  You can add any kind of essential oil with the scent of your choice at this point, just a few drops, I'm partial to Rose oil and Lavender oil.  Stir.
      • Transfer to a bucket with a lid, or pour into empty laundry detergent containers.
      • Set aside, and let it sit overnight, or up to 24 hours, to thicken and gel up.
      • Consistency and color will vary depending on your soap & water ~ it may be lumpy and watery… kind of like a watery gel, but it works great!
      • Stir or shake before each use, as it will continue to gel.

      • and heres a little bonus:
    • Homemade Fabric Softener Recipe:
      • 6 cups HOT water
      • 3 cups white vinegar
      • 2 cups Suave Refreshing Waterfall Conditioner {or other favorite scent}
      Mix conditioner & hot water well, until conditioner is dissolved completely.
      Add the vinegar, and mix well.
      Store in a large container {empty fabric softener container, empty large vinegar bottle, etc}
      Pour into a downy ball, or the fabric softener spot in your laundry machine, then wash!

0 people have had something to say about this: