Wednesday, February 16, 2011

stop buying all those household cleaners and make your own

So a few years ago when I was cleaning my, then 3 year old, asked if she could help me clean.  At the time all I had was Windex, so I decided that it was time to make something that my daughter could use...I mean far be it from me to discourage a little help!  So the first thing I did was to make a multi-purpose cleaner, then I figured why stop there and started making my own laundry detergent.  Those went so well I started doing even more.  Here are my favorite recipes!

General Housecleaning


Super Window Cleaner

  • 1/3 C white vinegar
  • 1/4 C rubbing alcohol
  • 3 1/2 C water
  • 1 clean 32oz spray bottle
Mix all ingredients in bottle and your good to go

Tough Multipurpose cleaner

  • 1 1/2 pints water
  • 1/3 C rubbing alcohol
  • 1 tsp clear household ammonia
  • 1 tsp mild dishwashing liquid
  • 1/2 tsp lemon juice
  • 1 clean 32 oz spray bottle
Mix all the ingredients in a bottle and your good to go

Pine Floor Cleaner

  • 1/2 C soap flakes
  • 1/4 c washing soda
  • 1 C salt
  • 2 C water
  • 2 tsp pine oil {this is not necessary, it's more for the pine scent}
  • 1 clean 16 oz plastic bottle with a tight-fitting lid
  • 1 C white vinegar
To make the soap flakes, lightly grate a bar of pure soap {such as Ivory}, on a coarse kitchen grater.  In saucepan over low heat, combine the soap, washing soda, salt, and water and stir until the soap, soda, and salt have dissolved.  Remove from heat and allow the mixture to cool until it is lukewarm.  Add the pine oil, if desired.  Stir well, pour into the plastic bottle, and secure top.  To use, pour 2 to 3 TBS of the cleaner into a half-bucket of hot water, stirring well.  For large areas, you may need to double to amount.  After cleaning, add the vinegar to a half-bucket of clean water and rinse the floor.



Spot Mold & Mildew Remover

  • 1 C white vinegar
  • 2 TBS borax
  • 4 C hot water
  • 1 clean 32 oz spray bottle 
Again....put it all in the bottle and...you guessed it...you're good to go

Fabric softener

  • 1/4 C baking soda
  • 1/2 C white vinegar
Fill the washing machine with water.  Add baking soda and then the clothing.  During the final rinse cycle, add the vinegar (pour it into the softener dispenser if your washing machine has one).

Multipurpose Disinfectant Cleaner

  • 2 tsp borax
  • 1/2 tsp washing soda
  • 2 TBS lemon juice
  • 4 TBS white vinegar
  • 3 C very hot water
  • 1 clean 24 oz spray bottle
Combine the borax, washing soda, lemon juice, and vinegar in the spray bottle.  Slowly add the hot water, then vigorously shake the bottle until the powdered ingredients have dissolved.  Shake the bottle before each use.

I'll be posting more in the weeks to come.  I've got plenty more cleaners, and health and beauty recipes to share.  If you try these please let me know how you liked them!


1 people have had something to say about this:

Michelle said...

I grew up in a house where allergies were plentiful :( so making homemade house cleaners was necessary, as well as cost effective. When I was pregnant, I started making laundry soap. I love it!

Thanks so much for posting your mixes. It's always great to compare and see if I can tweak my ingredients! :D