Monday, March 21, 2011

How to build an Emergency kit

So, with all of the things that have been going on in the world lately I have totally been thinking that, as the saying goes, it is better to be safe than sorry.  I know that in certain aspects I am well prepared (as far as food ad beverage go), but there is so much more that goes into actual emergency preparedness.  I was so happy when I came across this, it is broken down into 26 steps, one step per week.  Give it a look and see how prepared you are!


I don’t know about you, but the idea of putting together an emergency kit is overwhelming. Not only is the upfront cost prohibitive for many of us, but the list of items to go out and buy seems endless! Well I was thrilled to hear about a 26-week preparedness calendar (pdf) that helps you build a three- to seven-day disaster kit – one week at a time!
Instead of starting at the top of the list and following this calendar week-by-week, here’s how I’m going to use this document:
  1. Go through my current stock pile and cross off the emergency supplies on the list that I currently have. Set those items aside.
  2. I’ll watch the ads each week and watch for items on the list to go on sale. I’m going to buy the items as they are on sale or as I find good deals.  The big things to stock up on are: water, water, water and canned meats, fruit and veggies
  3. I printed a copy to put in my purse, so when I’m out at the store, I can watch for clearance deals and use this as a reference!
The key point here is having a timeline - making progress on a regular basis. Other wise, it’s just willy nilly and I could find myself taking a year to put this together or procrastinating all together! So I’m hoping we can hold each other accountable – if you find items included in the list on sale, let me know. I’ll share as I find items and we’ll build our emergency kits together. Sound good?
This calendar was adapted by Thurston County Emergency Management from the Washington State Chapters of the American Red Cross. Content originally developed by Chevron Real Estate Services, San Francisco, California. Produced by Thurston County Emergency Management, (360) 754-3360.


0 people have had something to say about this: