Monday, March 28, 2011

How to keep you little one occupied while you shop with coupons

First off let me just say, I try to avoid taking my children with me when I coupon at all costs, calling in favors, bribs, blackmail (okay maybe not this one), but I try to do whatever it takes to have my kiddos in the capable hands of anyone else if I'm on a couponing mission.  BUT...you and I both know...that's not always possible.  So, with that said, here are a few tips to keeping your little one somewhat happy, or atleast mildly occupied while you're getting your shop on:
1.  Make a shopping list for your child and include a few of of their favorite items on the list and give him/her a pencil/crayon to mark off the items as they are put in the cart.
2.  When possible I allow them to push the cart, I would make sure that this is not on busy times of the day.
3.  Find inexpensive rewards for your children.  When you're at Rite Aid or Walgreens chances are you're going to need a filler item...so it's win win...they get a little prize and you just got a filler.
4.  Or, if you don't want to purchase something for your sweet little cherub who has already made a rude comment to the lady in front of you, kicked you, screamed at you, or cried because they wanted a Baribe rather than a bag of crackers...pack a treat in your purse.  This could be a sucker, small box of nerds or crackers and juice box .  As we are heading to the checkout I pull out my treat so that I have the precious few minutes I need while checking out.  Remember if you don’t keep score at checkout you will possibly not do as well as you hoped.
5.  Use your shopping trip as a learning experience.  Take time show him/her how to coupon and what it means to be a good steward of the things you have been blessed with (even if it is scoring that 12 pk of toilet paper for a buck)
6.  If we are shopping at Target I let them buy a popcorn/drink from the Target Cafe.  It is the best $1.00 I spend while shopping!  We swing in and pick it up and they are good to go for the entire trip(plus you can refill the icee if it's gone half-way thorough the trip).

  If you teach your children at a young age about coupon use and the techniques of stockpiling you will raise frugal children...who will maybe use all that money you saved to go and become a doctor and support you in your old age!

0 people have had something to say about this: